RE: Get paid

Subject: RE: Get paid
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:07:24 -0500

I sold for 18 years. I had a trick.

Let's say I had a hunch that the system was going to come in at $50,000. I'd
ask if they had enough budget to cover it. Sometimes, I find out that they
didn't have the 50k, but they had the ability to come up with 10k from a
surplus in another budget.

"OK, Mr. Prospect...you have 10k available, but that's not enough. However,
if for 5k, we could work on a justification, including an ROI with solid
numbers that when submitted, would get you MORE than 50k next year, is it
worth the effort?

I've switched from vendor hat to partner hat...and jeeezz, whatdoyaknow...my
proposal happens to turn out to be the specifications for the system next
year that the other vendors must compete against.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com