Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)

Subject: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:38:51 -0600

Hey Eric, John, and others,

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombar
dier.com To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent by: cc:
bounce-techwr-l-117504 -at- lists -dot- Subject: RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
raycomm.com

02/19/03 01:23 PM
Please respond to eric.dunn

ID Number:

>> Eric wrote:

John brings up a good point. Just what good are examples in a portfolio
about
toasters, VCRs, and small open-source projects?

>> I reply:

That has been my thinking about writing such things as manuals for VCR's
and the like. Besides not proving much of an understanding for complex
technologies or products, they also would not be a very in-depth sample of
writing. Some open-source projects MAY be a bit different, but that would
depend on the project, I would imagine. Again, we're talking about the time
issue involved with something like that, not to mention the possibility of
actually talking with anyone that might be able to answer any questions
that might come up. However, I DO like this idea better than toasters or
VCR's.
So, we're back at where we were the beginning of my questions here. What
can be done when most of your work involves classified/proprietary
materials and you need to provide samples? What I have done in the past is
show the one commercial user's manual that I've worked on and some creative
writing samples. Admittedly, creative writing is a whole other ballgame
than technical writing!

Sam Beard

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com