Re: Ethics, ownership of product, and suchlike

Subject: Re: Ethics, ownership of product, and suchlike
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:23:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> "Bonnie Granat" wrote...
>
> > What we are really looking for is someone that may have already
> > put together a brochure for another company and we want to use this as a
> > template so as too save time and money.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > I responded that using a brochure created for another company is "usually
not
> > done by professional writers." Am I mistaken about this?
>
> They want somebody that has done the same thing before and use that
expertise
> as a template. As long as no content is exchanged between clients, I see no
> problem with it. There is nothing illegal or unethical about exchanging
> expertise between customers. I've used the same templates at multiple
clients.
> Maybe a wee bit of tweaking to differentiate. That's the whole idea of
> templates. They're reusable. Saves time, saves $$$.
>
> Turn the customer down, if this bothers you.

I suppose that I look upon a template for a brochure as being part of the work
product. I told the prospect that I could create a brochure for him in
FrameMaker, but I don't expect to hear more from him. I did a little research
and have also determined that I would not like to work for his company (for
other personal and moral reasons). All of this brings up the question for me
of when structure lost its status as part of the product? You're not the first
to suggest in this conversation that it has.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info

single-source layouts, and more!