RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.

Subject: RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:27:29 -0800

One thing about asking for samples that I have always had a problem with
providing is the sort of work that I've done, for most of relatively short
career. I'm talking about work for the Federal government that is all
classified.

When I have been in this position, I have created my own samples. There are a zillion poorly-written user manuals out there, for example. (None written by anyone on this list, of course.) Choose the manual for your VCR, camcorder, or whatever, and rewrite it. You have a before and after sample of your work.

Or, have your favorite teenaged-programmer-relative write a small program and then document it. I did this with something that my son wrote.

If a person wants to have a portfolio bad enough, there is always a way to do it.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com