Re: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.

Subject: Re: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:32:09 -0800

During "the drought" (what hiring managers called the dotcom boom because
of how hard it was to hire) it took less time to take someone who could write
and teach them the basics of the technology than it did to dig in your heels
and not hire until a technically adept candidate came along. Things have
changed, of course, and now technically adept candidates abound, except
for those hiring managers who are still posting job descriptions that don't
require them, because the odds are they'll never be able to pick the resumes
of writers with technical backgrounds out of the mountains of "non-technical
technical writer" resumes that come in to postings that only call for a "writer
background."

Gene Kim-Eng
Technical Publications Manager
Half Moon Bay, CA

At 10:59 AM 2/14/2003 -0500, John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...last night just as I was closing up, I saw a position for an
intermediate technical write posted on another list. What stuck me odd was
that it had a laundry list of technical writer requirements, but not one
with technology requirements.

Following is the message that I sent him and after that, the response I got
this morning. I think it reveals something about our field. What I also
found odd was that the position was to document large capacity data storage
devices...I would have thought that this was a fairly common requirement,
especially in Silicon Valley where the position was from, but I guess not.
Are we, as a whole, that much less technical than I thought?

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com