Re: RoboPdf

Subject: Re: RoboPdf
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:25:02 +0000

"Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com> wrote:

>I think the benefit is to users who want just the basic ability to create
>PDFs and not have to shell out US$250 for the privilege.
>
>Notice that in fact home version is free. It's possible I missed something
>along the way, but up to this point I haven't seen or heard of any
>generators that were free.

Ghostscript/Ghostview (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) is free, and will
create a PDF from a *.ps. If you have no other way, you can generate a
*.ps file by printing to file with a PostScript printer driver (and you
don't need an actual PostScript printer).

Just wanted to point out that there has been a free path to creating PDFs
for quite some time. YMMV of course, in how much trouble you want to go
through in setting it up, trying to get good screen fonts, etc. The last
time I used this method, it used good print fonts but lousy screen fonts by
default. I never did take the time to fix this (though I'm confident that
it is possible).

--
Greg Holmes

single-source layouts, and more!