RE: Credit Checks

Subject: RE: Credit Checks
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:17:43 -0600

Apologies if someone else has already posted this explanation. I'm on
digest.

At a previous gig, they ran credit checks on every new employee. I didn't
understand why they did it, but I wasn't going to argue with them. The
credit check really came into effect when I was transferred over to their
technical consulting department, and I was issued a corporate credit card.
As most technical consultants (as well as other technical and non-technical
positions) are issued corporate credit cards for their traveling and
business expenses, they needed to check credit history because generally in
the US, the cardholder makes the monthly payments, and is then reimbursed by
the company. Perhaps the company just wants to feel secure knowing that you
won't default on your monthly payments and tarnish their credit rating. I
guess a credit check would seem useless if you're not issued a corporate
card, but that may be something they anticipate giving the tech writer
candidate further down the road. I've traveled/consulted in my current TW
position, so I'm sure it's not uncommon.

I can also see the sense in it if you were on the road to management and
would become responsible for balancing your department budget. If you can't
budget your own expenses, you might not be able to handle an entire
department's finances.

Syed

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com