Re: Simple crack of Word protected files: RTF

Subject: Re: Simple crack of Word protected files: RTF
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve_schwarzman -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:24:50 -0600

Yes, Maggie's right. There's nothing illicit going on here, just that the files they gave us had the protection on, which meant that we couldn't search for text. They're long, and we want to make sure we don't miss anything relevant.

It's easier for all involved for me to consult the handy-dandy techwr-l archives for solutions (time elapsed: maybe 10 minutes), then inspired by what I found there, try an even easier one (time elapsed: maybe another 10 minutes), than to go back to the customer and ask for new versions of the files.

By the way, one of those archived posts compared Word's security to that of a convertible with the top down. I was genuinely surprised that it was this easy to do.

From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>

The files came from the customer. I presume they are
the customer's files. If the writer or project lead
protected them, then left the company, doesn't the
customer (and the consultant they hire) have the right
to get into them? I don't see why you assume there's
some kind of anti-copyright funny business going on
here. I guess there might be, but there's nothing in
Steve's note to warrant that assumption.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com