Re: clarity of terminology can save lives

Subject: Re: clarity of terminology can save lives
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:37:11 -0700

> For example, in the Revelstoke area the Hazard is described as
> "considerable" through most of the winter. The current controversy
> focuses on just what "Considerable" means; is it closer to Moderate, or
> closer to High?

I would guess closer to high.

Last week the local news presented an Arizona drought map. The southeast
part of the state is in severe drought. The Phoenix metro is extreme, the
northern Grand Canyon area is exceptional. No explanation was given of
terms. What's worse, extreme or exceptional? The map colors weren't
different enough to distinguish the difference. It wasn't until I went to
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ and looked at the map and legend that I
understood. BTW, the drought map is really scary. I live in the desert and
know we're dry (2002 tied the dries year on record); seeing the entire
continent is quite revealing.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ