Re: Ob, ob, ob, oblete? Oblate?

Subject: Re: Ob, ob, ob, oblete? Oblate?
From: AmyD -at- osas -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:12:26 -0700

Barbara wonders:
>> Would you describe a quarter turn view of someone as "oblate"? Or would
>> you use a simpler term for these types of users? Does "oblate" even
fit?

As others have said, no. In fact, I've only ever heard the word "oblate"
used to describe astronomical bodies, as in "Due to its rapid rotation,
Saturn is oblate." I've never seen it used anywhere else besides
astronomy. Even if your software was for astronomy, describing the angle
view you mentioned would still be an incorrect use of the word. I'd go
with "oblique" (as mentioned by several others) or "angle view" or some
such. Better yet - get the advice of local law enforcement officers (if
you can) as to how they refer to that sort of view.

Good luck!
Amy Dohlman

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com