Re: TWiki .draw files

Subject: Re: TWiki .draw files
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 07:37:44 -0500

J. Ressler said:
> We recently started using, err...experimenting with TWiki. Right
> now we are in the "dream big, start small" phase.

Excellent! I've used TWiki for about a year and find that the developers
contribute far more documentation using this tool than any previous
method I tried.

If anyone else reading this wants to learn more about TWiki, see
http://twiki.org or
http://docs.linux.com/documentation/02/09/18/1449248.shtml?tid=38.

> One of our software gurus really likes the fact that he can use
> Twiki Draw to do simple block diagrams.

I agree, embedded drawing in Wiki pages means you can convey process
flow, for example, very succinctly.

> Is there a way, other than saving to .GIF, to incorporate Twiki
> Draw (.draw) files into a Visio file. I don't care how many hoops
> I have to jump through to get it into a Visio file if independent
> formatting remains (layers). Incorporating from Visio to Twiki Draw
> would be swell too.

I've played around with TWiki Draw[1] and JHotDraw[2], the open source
software it's based on and don't think you're going to get a
Visio-style drawing out of it.

If you download and look at a *.draw file, you'll notice it's ASCII,
not binary -- this isn't an image format in the traditional sense.
Unless someone in the JHotDraw or TWiki communities
creates a converter, you're not likely to find one anywhere.

Have you tried asking your question on the Support web at
http://twiki.org? Try asking from here:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Support/WebHome.
I've found the Support web to be an excellent resource. Questions
are answered quickly and accurately.

[1] http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/TWikiDrawPlugin
[2] http://www.jhotdraw.org/

Regards,