RE: Outlook for the future

Subject: RE: Outlook for the future
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:34:48 -0500

Shannon...your question is similar to the old question of what does an
elephant look like to three blind people. Much of the opinion is based on
the person's perspective. I'll give you my unvarnished opinion.

1) For the technical writer who only wants to do what most technical writers
do, it could be kinda bleak for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, and
don't take this the wrong way, but right now, the field is thick with those
who came from something else and saw technical writing as an easier way to
earn lots of money.

2) If you are willing to do something that sets you apart from the majority,
then the field is pretty good.

However...based on your description of how you are preparing for the field
(...taking classes, learning RoboHelp and other graphic programs, joined
STC...), you are headed down the path of #1 above. OTOH, if you'd said that
you were preparing by learning technical subjects (MCSE, CCNP (Cisco
Certified Network Professional) or the like, or maybe SAP certification), or
specialties along the line of CRM, EIA, CFR21, etc., you'd be much more able
to offer skills that employers want. How about nuts and bolts skills...dba,
sql, asp, dhtml, java, etc.

I understand that I developed a number of opinions with very little basis.
If I assumed elements I should not have, my apologies.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com