Re: Describing buttons and fields

Subject: Re: Describing buttons and fields
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:08:52 -0800

DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net> wrote:

> Is it
> 4. Click the "Browse" button...
> or
> 4. Click the Browse button... ?
>
> Are quotes in this situation reserved only for
>
> find the file labelled "Bozo and Herman"...?
>
> How do you use quotes in technical docs?

I wouldn't use quotation marks for GUI items. We only
use them in cross-references to chapters and sections.
I also recommend not using any kind of alternate font
treatment (like bold) for GUI items, as your procedures
then start to look like a ransom note. Just make sure
that your engineers use initial capitals for button and
field names and that should be sufficient to distinguish
them in steps, especially if you decide to add "the...button"
around the name.

-- Janice

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com