Re: Teaching a writing class for co-workers

Subject: Re: Teaching a writing class for co-workers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:10:02 -0800

Ashley Gottfried wrote:

So far, I'm thinking of covering the following topics:
* Review the article writing process (since many of the students have never written one of these articles but will in upcoming months).
* Demonstrate how to use the correct template and styles. (I spend a good amount of time each month applying styles to these articles.)
* Give tips on organizing information. * Provide guidelines on writing clear procedures.
I'm wondering if anyone on the list has put together a similar class and had any advice to offer. Do you have any short writing exercises I could use in class that you'd be willing to share? Are there topics that I should include that I've missed?

I think you're already trying to cover more than you can reasonably cover in an hour. Any one of these ideas could usefully fill the hour.

I also wonder whether these are ideas are beyond the scope of what you've been asked to do. Yes, these topics matter to professional writers, but other people are often not aware of them. Is it possible that what's wanted is simply some tips on how to write clearly?

If so, you could do far worse than discuss the ideas and basic guidelines mentioned in George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language." Whenever I've had one hour to explain the most important aspects of writing, that's what I've done. Have everyone read it, and apply it to modern communication, maybe offer some sample exercises or examples, and you'll have no trouble filling the hour, and keeping everyone interested.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"In this case, justice sure was blind,
At least blind to human suffering,
They said they'd put us in our place