RE: OT: The Columbia

Subject: RE: OT: The Columbia
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:30:59 -0600

> Missing tiles/some damage to the heat shields, within certain
> parameters, should not prevent these machines from landing. I believe
> Columbia lost a lot of tiles on her first trip. She did fine. They are

> designed to fail.

>From what I heard this morning, they're now suspecting problems if the
left landing gear (perhaps something broke, protruded, and caused the
increase in heat due to drag). We can only hope that they died instantly
when the shuttle broke up. They've started recovering human remains.

I have my own tiny connection to the shuttle--my father, a mechanical
engineer, designed a component in the joystick assembly. He also had
designed components for the Apollo capsule, and it was his greatest joy
to point to a particular instrument in the mockups shown on tv during
space flights and tell us, "That one's mine!" Sadly, he never saw the
shuttles fly, but I'm sure he was there to greet our astronauts in
heaven.

Nancy Kaminski
nancykam -at- attbi -dot- com

single-source layouts, and more!