RE: What's with colo[u]r anyway?

Subject: RE: What's with colo[u]r anyway?
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:34:59 -0800

I've been away from the book printing industry for more than 10 years,
so I can't say for sure--but can't help commenting anyway. I suspect
that when books are printed, the printer still uses offset press
technology, not laser or inkjet printers. A book printed with a laser
printer, even a good quality one, will still be inferior in quality to a
book printed using an offset press. And when you get into full-color
offset processes, you're talking about running the paper through the
press multiple times, each time with a different color ink, each time
cleaning the old color off the press, letting it dry, adding a new
color, etc., etc.

When laser printers were still baby technology, I knew many people who
could tell the difference immediately between a page printed on an
offset press, and a page printed with a laser printer. I can't tell you
how many times they crumpled the laser-printed pages and snorted
derisively.

(snip)....

> Yet it is still prohibitively expensive to use
> colo[u]r in a manual at less than 50,000 copies.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Yes, I know that most personal color is inkjet.
> Is that the major part of the explanation?

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com