RE: STC Conference: Manual Evaluations--valuable?

Subject: RE: STC Conference: Manual Evaluations--valuable?
From: "Spreadbury, David C." <David -dot- Spreadbury -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:08:00 -0500

I'm not a big advocate of the STC. I don't feel it is really a group
interested in technical content, but more layout and presentation.

Anyway, I just went through this with our local chapter.

Prior to the actual ceremony I got to talk with a couple of the document
reviewers. One of them, who happened to hit me in a negative manner with her
evaluation, appeared open to discussion and seemed to listen to my
explanation of why I chose to present the information the way it was
presented. She didn't really come down on me about it. It is a matter of
opinion how the information is presented, and she was open to that. As far
as the final evaluation sheet is concerned, I look at it as a way to improve
the next document. There were some things in the evaluation that showed me
where I may make the document more useable to the end user. This was in no
way a public humiliation. I looked at it as an opportunity to learn to
produce a better document.

BTW, the document that was submitted received an 'Award of Excellence',
which will look pretty good on my resume.