RE: Butt-or-ego insulation query

Subject: RE: Butt-or-ego insulation query
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:49:52 -0500

>How many of you would likely have caught the omission
>that embarrassed our customer?
>
>Is this one of those "you live and learn" situations,
>or is it "a competent and thorough TW would have
>covered all the scenarios that a customer would
>encounter"?? I confess that his situation never even
>crossed my mind.

The trick is not to think of every permutation, but to develop a process of
defining the procedure so each permutation is addressed automatically.

I'm a big fan of visual logic decision trees which I do in Visio to help me
determine how to write the instructions.

It will be tough to visualize in text, but example:

1) Do you have a token
Yes - Initialize it and go to step 3
No - Go to step 2

2) Do you Need a token
Yes - Contact xxx and when received, go to step 1
No - Got to End

3) Do you have another token?
Yes - Go to step 1
No - Go to step 4

4) Has the token been authenticated
Yes - Go to step 5
No - Authenticate it, then go to step 6

5) Do you have another token
Yes - Go to step 4
No - Go to step 6

etc., etc.

Every step along the way must have a Yes or No. You'd be amazed at what dead
ends you place the reader if you don't include something to do at every Yes
and No point. Ever see a document that says:

1) Do X. You should see Y
2) At Y, do Z.

The problem is that the instruction never says what to do if you DON't see
Y. This process eliminates that trap.

At least it works for me.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer