Re: Color cartridges (was RE: high cost of print cartridges)

Subject: Re: Color cartridges (was RE: high cost of print cartridges)
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:50:20 -0600

"David Downing"
<DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com> To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent by: cc:
bounce-techwr-l-117504 -at- lists -dot- Subject: Color cartridges (was RE: high cost of print cartridges)
raycomm.com

01/29/03 11:22 AM
Please respond to "David
Downing"

ID Number:

Hey David,

You mean the printer actually uses six colors of ink instead of ye olde
cyan, magenta, and yellow?

This leads me to a related question about color cartridges. What I find
irksome about them is that you gotta throw them away when any one color
is used up, even if there's plenty on the other two colors. Do they
make inkjet printers that use a separate physical cartridge for each
color?

The answer is yes and no. Canon and Epson are both making printers that
use separate cartridges for each color and not, depending on the model of
printer. They both have six color printers with separate cartridges, and I
think they both have seven color printers, as well. I know that at least
one of them has a seven-color printer. Epson, I believe, also has a
cartridge set out that uses various shades of black for excellent B&W photo
prints. This cartridge set replaces the color cartridge for when you need
that capability. Apparently, there are also various types of inks that
produce somewhat different results: a dye-based and something else that
escapes me at the moment.

Sam

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com