RE: High cost of print cartridges?

Subject: RE: High cost of print cartridges?
From: "Stuart Rogers" <srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:40:45 -0500

Recent model Epson printers include a chip in the cartridge that stores info
re the ink levels and causes the printer to stop printing when ink is low. I
believe the printer writes to the chip when the printer is shut down. The
continuous inking system I mentioned earlier uses a read-only chip to
circumvent this: as I print, the driver reports lower and lower ink levels,
but when I reboot both printer and PC, the driver reports full cartridges
again for all colours.

The EU has just passed legislation prohibiting the chip technology, since it
discourages re-use/recycling.

Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator
Phoenix Geophysics Limited
Toronto, ON, Canada
+1 (416) 491-7340 x 325

mailto:srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com

Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical Writers explain How to Work the Product.

"This also doesn't take into consideration the issue of the chip inside some
cartridges that inform the computer and printer of a low cartridge. Refill
kits DO NOT take this into consideration. For those printers that simply use
it to inform you of a low cartridge, it's not such a big deal. However, if I
recall correctly, some printers will not work without a signal from the
cartridge that the ink is actually there and I haven't seen anything about a
work-around for this. Doesn't mean there ISN'T one, just that I haven't
heard of it."

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com