High cost of print cartridges?

Subject: High cost of print cartridges?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:16:20 -0500

Emily from Ann Arbor wonders: <<I have an Epson Stylus Color 440 Printer.
The Epson print cartridges are so expensive. Is
there a way to buy a generic brand of cartridges that's cheaper?>>

There are many generic brands, and most computer magazines list them (often
at the back in the "classified" ads). PC Magazine recently reviewed a couple
alternatives, and found that although the knockoffs are acceptable, the
manufacturer's originals were uniformly of higher quality. But if you're
just looking for quick and dirty printouts, there's nothing wrong with using
third-party cartridges and even services that refill the cartridges. Some
manufacturers claim that doing so will void the printer warranty, but I
can't see how they could make this stick in court. More to the point, if the
warranty has already expired, who cares?

<<If I ever decide to buy a new printer, what's the most economical choice
given the high cost of cartridges?>>

Laser printers are almost always much cheaper than inkjets. If you're buying
lots of ink cartridges because of the amount you print, you could
conceivably save money by buying a laser now and using the inkjet only for
printing color. A laser quickly pays for itself.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com