Re: The Lone Writer

Subject: Re: The Lone Writer
From: "Jo Francis Byrd" <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:16:58 -0600

Of course it's shortsighted, Erika! When underpaid is better than "no-paid"
you do what you have to in order to survive. I think he'll find someone who
will do excellent work but will likely bail when the tide turns again. I've
been independent long enough to want to stay that way - I like the delusion
of freedom it gives me; when I consider permanent employment (whatever that
is anymore), I swear I feel fetters tightening around me, but I was willing
to consider it simply because the project/product itself sounds so very
interesting. That he has yet to earn a dollar set off alarm bells, and his
salary attitude sent me running.

I can handle underpaid better on contract than I can as permanent.

Jo Byrd