RE: small invoices, big egos

Subject: RE: small invoices, big egos
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:59:23 -0700

You can add to that list: any small-business which asks a contractor to do a
one-time job, then won't pay the invoice, and/or return calls.

<On my soap-box>
I've heard enough stories (and worked once for a shyster who used to say
"what they going to do - sue me.") to know that some business-people never
have the intention of playing fair. It's the same game as 'want more
business, give me a free-bee', or 'I need a (free) favor.' There is always
some client who will sign-up for the minimum $$$ services. Then gets on a
friendly basis (maybe wings & beer), and afterwards start calling all the
time for free work (usually rush).

There are lots of people in this world, who will try to get away with
whatever they can; especially if it involves money. Not paying an invoice -
is the same as trying to pocket something in a store, and then walking out
without paying. The only difference is they know they can't be criminally
charged, and are the first to claim in court that it was all an honest
mistake. But in reality, the only mistake (in their warped minds) was they
got nailed and had to pay-up. The only exception, is when there is a
disagreement in the quality, or quantity, of work done. But it's easy to
tell a client's 'disappointment' from that of 'no intentions to pay.'

By accepting the position of submission, you are teaching this cheap-client
a valuable lesson - contractors like you, can be walked over, for their
(your client's) own gain! If you owned a store, would you let people walk
out without paying? Have you considered the fact, that if you do nothing,
this dead-beat is going to pass your name to other dead-beats, so they can
rip you off too?

Such dead-beat companies count on contractors like you (and others they've
cheated) to walk away. It's a simple fact, that if they did it to you, they
are doing it to others! So place them with a collection agency, and inform
the BBB. And even if you don't get your invoice paid, they won't be able to
brag about how they've cheated you out of money!
<off my soap-box>

Bruce

Peter Harkins wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:14:39AM -0800, Mike O. wrote:
> > "For a fee of $200, I will introduce you to a small-business
> > client who will occasionally hire you for small projects. He is
>
> Don't take any offer like that. If you're supposed to be making
> money from them, you don't pay them for the privilege. There's a lot of
> variations on this scam; businesses that want people to pay for 'training'
> courses before hiring, some shady recruiters, and all manner of totally
> dishonest criminals who'll pull a disappearing act.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com