RE: small invoices, big egos

Subject: RE: small invoices, big egos
From: Tammy VanBoening <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- netRegulus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:30:11 -0700

Bruce,

This just posted on our local STC list. Thought it would be interesting
based on your email:

****************************

Traci,
I'm curious what your client is saying to justify not paying you. Also, and
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, it may be appropriate to name
deadbeat clients so the rest of us can avoid them.

My experience is that the easiest thing to do is turn it over to collections
agency. They will do it on a contingency basis. They will charge you 20-30%
of whatever they collect, but you don't have to deal with it any more. Of
course, they may not be able to collect either, but at least you've done
what you can and you don't have to spend any more time on it. Some law firms
will also take over the collections activity for you.

I've not done Small Claims, but my guess is that it would be more hassle
than it's worth.

Just in passing also, you might include a paragraph in your contract that
states that you retain the copyright on all material you produce until the
client has paid in full. This way, they may be exposing themselves to a
copyright infringement suit if they don't pay you completely. This is my
idea, so it needs to be discussed with an attorney knowledgable about the
interaction of work for hire and intellectual property laws.

David