Re: Security followup

Subject: Re: Security followup
From: "Decker F. Wong-Godfrey" <dfgodfrey -at- milmanco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:08:35 -0800

In the beginning, this issue was whether Linux needs lots of different antivirus scanners to be seen as competitive with Windows. It doesn't. Why? The system itself works against viruses. The security issues one faces when they run Linux are different than the ones faced by someone running Windows. Andrew conceded the point in his last e-mail.

The origination of this whole thread (just incase you've forgotten) was advice that attempted to find a Linux analog to all the security and bad-engineering woes of Windows. The issue is not whether there are vulnerabilities. The issue is that a robust, well engineered OS doesn't need to be butressed by add-ons simply because it works right. People jumping on the "security means secure" bandwagon need to reassess what security is. When it comes to computers, security is not a stable state--it is not the Nirvana of computing--it is a practice. Windows makes it hard to practice security because it is engineered badly.

Using a better engineered operating system that provides more protections to its users is a good way to practice security. That's the point. You don't have to like it--you don't even have to believe it; it's your prerogative to use whatever OS you want. I simply don't care what you personally choose to do with your time and money. But don't try telling me, that people face the same problems running Linux as they do running Windows.

I've had the opportunity to administer a Windows domain. I've also had the pleasure to administer better engineered OSs, like FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X. I've seen the differences and I know from experience that they are big.

As someone who is just now starting to look at what Linux is, you should be happy VERY HAPPY that your vendor provides you with an immediate, easy to use interface for updating your system. Up2date makes your job simple. The issue is not whether Linux/UNIX is bulletproof. The issue has always been whether the choice of OS plays into the overall security of a system.

Hopefully with the next version of their server, Microsoft has finally put a little bit of quality behind all that marketing. Hopefully we'll all be better off because the OS was actually engineered for usability and security, rather than sellability.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com