RE: using a slogan on a resume

Subject: RE: using a slogan on a resume
From: "Peter Swisher" <PeteS -at- bmgi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:48:18 -0700

I think a superbly crafted 24 word or less description of what you do
and how well you do it is an excellent idea. I have reservations about
how effective it would be all by itself. Personally, I would be
suspicious of a 12-worder. "Why doesn't this person tell me more about
themselves? What are they hiding?" A non-generic, small-cheese-factor
and effective 12 word slogan would be hard to construct. If you can do
it, great! If it gets a person to actually read half your resume, you
have won the first small battle.

My "slogan" is actually the first sentence in my "executive summary". I
find a well constructed, results oriented executive summary to be the
best way to generate interest. It also helps you to weed out them. For
example, if you want to be a lead writer, then use the executive summary
to indicate your seniority.

The resume has two purposes: to either get an interview or to validate
your background before you are hired. In these times, it better quickly
indicate how good of a candidate you are. Just keep in mind that the
BEST way to get an interview is to know someone on the inside. If you
don't know someone, 6 degree of separate until you do...