take a break, help me with my novel

Subject: take a break, help me with my novel
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:38:39 -0800

The gall, the nerve! OK, so I'm desperate.

As some of you know, I'm writing a novel and my main character is, surprise, a technical writer. I've been working on this scene for about a month, and I'm stuck. I think it's because my own stories are kind of boring. I need some fresh fodder and hope some of you all will supply it.

The scene is my character sitting around with some other contract writers, and they're talking (sorta whimsically) about what they look for to size up the terrain when they go on that first interview/meeting with a new client. I mean those details that say--this is going to be a good/nightmarish experience. Also the clues you pick up about what approach to take--good contractors are chameleons, after all. I'm not so much talking about what might cause someone to turn down a job, more a first impressions type of thing.

I've got a few ideas, but I figure there are a million great stories out on this list. Its a toss up as to whether this book will make in into print; however, I'll foist this particular scene on you all. If you want to share but don't want me to use it, just say so.

TIA!

Sella Rush
Tech Writer III
MusicNet