Re: Deadlines

Subject: Re: Deadlines
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 06:42:58 -0500

Paul,

I'm guessing that you are an author of technical trade books. That puts you in a different situation from that of a tech writer producing documentation that accompanies a product or writing proposals on deadline. I suppose some techwrlers are jealous, but I think most of us are just scratching our heads wondering how anyone could live like that.

My first brush with the word deadline was when I was placed in the ninth grade English class that was responsible for publishing the junior high newspaper (talking 1960 here). Miss Kirk explained that the paper had to be at the printer on schedule and that if a writer missed a deadline the paper would be published with a large white hole where the story was supposed to have been. That's still the image that comes to mind when I contemplate missing a deadline, and it still motivates me to meet them. Yes, 100% of the time.

Dick

Paul DuBois wrote:

Ah. I adopt a different working model, which is one reason why I have trouble
making deadlines: The manuscript will be done when I'm satisfied with it, and
not before.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com