RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:13:46 -0500

Susan, I agree 100%. I, too, pride myself on never missing a deadline in
almost 30 years on the job. It all comes down to doing the best you can with
the time allotted.

My approach is generally to get a little bit of everything documented by the
earliest possible deadline, with extra time and attention on the 'hardest'
stuff for people to 'get'. If I get more time, I use it appropriately,
filling in more depth in the places where it is needed most. If I get even
more time, I continue in that vein. Eventually, I either get it ALL done, or
we ship. But regardless, I am always ready with the best possible stuff in
shippable form on a potential release day.

I know what the stuff that needs to be explained is, and I have to get it
out on time. If I have a week, I produce the most appropriate stuff that I
can in that week. If I have a day, I do the best right stuff in a day. If I
have an hour, ditto.

And if I only have 5 minutes, I still do the best I can: "Check back later
for complete documentation."

John G

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com