OT: Cute

Subject: OT: Cute
From: geoff -at- userdox -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:46:13 +1100

Don't you just *love* the English language. From my experience, 'cute' is a
word that causes more _unintentional_ angst than most. I've been known to use
it for all of the below meanings.

It has been around for only ~300 years, and we already have, effectively, four
different usages. How many will we have in another 100 years?

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

One entry found for cute.

Main Entry: cute
Pronunciation: 'kyüt
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): cut·er; cut·est
Etymology: short for acute
Date: circa 1731
1 a : clever or shrewd often in an underhanded manner
b : IMPERTINENT, SMART-ALECKY <don't get cute with me>
2 : attractive or pretty especially in a dainty or delicate way
3 : obviously straining for effect
- cute·ly adverb
- cute·ness noun

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com