RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:35:16 -0800 (PST)

And y'know, in this market, that's often the case.
You go in and do your best and your best is really
good. You just aren't the right person, or you want
too much money, or you don't have the X thing they're
looking for.

I think sometimes many of us are too quick to
personalize the outcome, to "take the blame" in a
situation where blame isn't relevant. We say: "If
only I had said the magic word, I'd have gotten the
job." It isn't necessarily something you did or
failed to do.

Maybe I've just been doing this a long time, but
that's why I don't call back and ask what I could have
done differently in the interview. If I did do
something wrong, odds are--you betcha--the behaviour I
avoid next time will be exactly the thing the next guy
wants to see.

And I mean, if the hiring manager just doesn't hire
anyone with red hair and blue eyes, you don't think
he's going to tell me that, do you? :)

Maggie Secara

--- Greg T <ggthomp -at- attbi -dot- com> wrote:

> Anita:
> I agree with the phone conversation idea. I didn't
> get a job a few weeks
> back and I asked the person who coordinated the
> group interview if she would
> chat with me about how I came across. She was really
> receptive to the idea.
> We chatted for a bit, I asked a number of detailed
> questions but it all came
> back to the fact that someone else was more
> qualified for the position.
> Greg

=====
Maggie Secara

The Elizabethan World is at http://ren.dm.net
New in the Compendium! Keeping an Elizabethan Christmas

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com