Re: Coping with legacy on-line help systems

Subject: Re: Coping with legacy on-line help systems
From: John Cornellier <t_w -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:05:26 +0100

The help should be the same regardless of the HAT (Help Authoring Tool).

An exception is that some HATs produce output that relies on an external file (e.g. a DLL) to enhance the functionality of Microsoft's help
system. (E.g. Paint Shop Pro has an "enhanced" help system by RoboHelp.)

Apart from that, I'd need more info about your system before being able to offer advice:
- what help system is it: .HLP or .CHM?
- does the help rely on external DLLs as described above?
- are there many help files or just one? You mention modules, do they have separate help systems, and if so are they interlinked?
- do you have the source files, meaning .htm, .hhp, and possibly .hhc .js, .hhk .css ?

John Cornellier

2003-01-08 16:39:21, Nadine Underwood <nadine -dot- underwood -at- orchard-systems -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

>We have a legacy on-line help system for our modular Housing System created
>2 years ago using Doc-2-Help. I am looking at recreating and updating this
>help system using AuthorIT.
>
>I want to release the new help files per module but I am unsure what happens
>to the legacy help system?
>
>Has anyone encountered such a problem? Does anyone have any ideas on the
>best way forward for this?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Nadine

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com