RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:27:18 -0500

>>Q: Can you pilot a plane?
>>A: Yes.

>>Q: So you know how to pilot a plane?
>>A: No.

>>Q: What makes you think you can pilot a plane?
>>A: I've seen it done on TV. I drive a car. I've flown as a passenger. In my
>>world I feel that a car and a plane are remarkably similar.

Are we really to consider this a valid analogy? To become a pilot involves years
of training involving federal regulations and controls. Flying puts both pilot,
passengers, and people on the ground in possible danger if the pilot is
incompetent.

Visio, Word, FrameMaker, Interleaf, and all the other tools used for techwriting
hold neither the dangers nor the complexity of flying. Even a moderate
techwriter should be able to be productive with unknown software after a half
day of pocking around with it. Even a mediocre techwriter should be able to
create content with any common software package with a minimum of instruction.

The laughable comparison of software proficiency to piloting is only relevant if
the topic were familiarity with government/military writing standards, industry
requirements/regulations, or if the techwriter's knowledge in a critical
technology that will be documented is being discussed.

Eric L. Dunn

PS: Play enough with MS Flight Simulator, and you might just be able to do a
passable job piloting the real thing. ;-) <LOL>

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com