Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 07:23:47 -0800

Everyone on the list complains that too many clients create requirements
that are tool oriented when they should be results oriented. Yet, when the
requirements are tool oriented, we follow it anyway. Why should we fall into
the trap of determining our abilities based on tool skills rather than
results.

If the requirement was phrased "Have you ever used ABC Flowcharter?", then
the answer would have been "No, but since I understand it is similar to
Visio, I expect that I can be up to speed in a few hours." However, that
wasn't the requirement.

Suppose if you had answered 3, their response was "I really am not
interested in your opinion of what you think you can do. I need results. Can
you create flowcharts or not?"

I'm a contractor. Every gig requires me to do something I've never done
before and to give assurance that I can do it before I walk in the door.
Knowing the principles of flowcharting is more important than what buttons I
need to press. We create instructions for systems we've never used before.
and we do it because we probably documented a similar "type" of system. Why
can't we create instructions WITH a system we've never used before without
dropping in all kinds of disclaimers "Gee, Ms Customer...I'm sorry I wasn't
able to create a flowchart, I said I've never used the application. Why are
you so upset?" rather than "Gee, I'm sorry, Ms. Customer, that I don't know
how to create flowcharts when I said I did. I'll leave now and I won't
charge you for the time."

Regarding your initial response below, I have performed that task...I've
created flowcharts. What I've created then with is immaterial The result is
what is important.

Results are black and white. You achieve results or you don't. Managers are
interested in what you think you can do. Just do it or get out of the way
and let someone else do it.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
john -at- tdandw -dot- com