Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:49:20 -0800

At 2:30 PM -0800 1/6/03, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Once you've contracted for a while, you have a much stronger sense that no job lasts forever. You also have much greater faith in your ability to find another job when you need one.

That's been my experience also, after several Silicon Valley layoffs from "permanent" positions. As much as I dislike looking for jobs, at this point I have a much higher level of confidence that they are out there and I will find one.

This attitude also gives you a much stronger psychological edge going into an interview. Feeling you have less at stake, you are likely to be more relaxed and less passive than many interviewees.

I'm glad to read this today. Though contracting is not my preference, I am going on an interview tomorrow for a contract tech writing position that I feel very qualified for. At the end of the phone interview last week, I was not completely sure I wanted the contract, so I did not ask for an interview directly, though I did tell the manager when I would be able to start, should he decide he wanted to hire me.

If nothing else, I feel hopeful that the tech writing market is opening up, if only just a little, as this is not the only contract I've heard about. Let's hope it's a sign of better things to come.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances with Words

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers" 1:13

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com