Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Tom Storer <tstorer_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 05:05:04 -0800 (PST)

Diane Evans suggests the following as documents
required at the various stages of a software
development lifecycle:

<1. Vision and Scope document [...]
<
<2. Validation Plan [...]
<
<3. Functional Requirements Specification [...]
<
<4. System Development Specification [...]
<
<5. Test Plan [...]
<
<6. Qualification Document [...]
<
<7. User Documents [...]
<
<8. Change Requests [...]
<
<9. When the system is no longer needed, a document
<should be permanently filed which explains why the
<system is no longer needed and what should be done
<with any of the left-over data.

This sounds right based on the way things go where I
work, but I'd be curious to know how many of you are
involved in all these stages. At our office, the doc
department works almost exclusively on number 7, user
documents. On an informal basis, we contribute our
language expertise to number 3, functional
specifications, but that depends solely on how the
author of the specification feels about it. I should
note that I work in a French company where all except
user documents are "owned" by French managers or
engineers writing in their own inimitable brand of
English, so when we are asked to give a hand, it's
mostly just to make sure the grammar is correct.

How do doc departments typically work out the division
of responsibilities between professional writers and
the subject-matter experts who provide the content of,
for example, functional or technical specifications,
if the writers are actually creating the document?

Thanks,

Tom

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com