HTML email revisited

Subject: HTML email revisited
From: Martin Waxman <martin -at- waxman -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 16:47:40 -0500

I searched the archives, and in a thread a while back, there were a few exchanges regarding HTML email.

Because I've been asked to design, edit content for, and send a client's newsletter, I started poking around.
and found that the links below provided good clues.

In my first set of tests, using some of the advice in the links, I wrote an HTML newsletter page using my ASCII editor.
I then addressed the email to several test email addresses I have, and also to friends who participated in the test.
Next, I simply copied the HTML from the editor and pasted it into the email (I use Eudora) and then hit send.

Everything seems to look fine with recipients using pop3 clients.
Outlook 5 just displayed the HTML code,
Several recipients who did not receive the HTML display -- they saw only what they described as garbage -- could not tell me which email programs they were using, or the settings.
More work will be done.

Feedback from anyone on the list would be helpful
I'm also looking for a free or inexpensive "sniffer" that will test an email list and determine which ones can receive HTML, and which need to receive a plain text version -- reading the complete email header from an opt-in message could also determine this, but that's not the way were headed right now.

http://www.clickz.com/em_mkt/case_studies/article.php/839541

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/08/index3a.html?tw=html
or, for the print version
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/templates/print_template.htmlt?meta=/webmonkey/98/08/index3a_meta.html

http://wp.netscape.com/escapes/ibd/html_mail.html

http://www.webreview.com/1998/01_16/strategists/01_16_98_2.shtml

Martin Waxman
412 East 55th Street, Apt. 1E
New York, NY 10022
Tel & Fax 212-759-6572
Cell 917-882-5316

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com