Re: Employment history low points

Subject: Re: Employment history low points
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:13:09 -0500

I second Diane's anecdotal experience. I was out of work for over a year,
and didn't have the resources to do traditional networking (No STC group
within reasonable driving distance, no "job fairs" for professionals, and
*very* limited funds).

I ended up taking a temp gig, and because it was on per-hour basis and I was
commuting 1 1/2 one-way to the low-paying job (We're talking about Alabama,
after all - even in "good" times, the market is depressed there), my options
were limited.

My only recourse was to use Monster, et cetera. However, I wouldn't reply to
jobs that didn't offer "the personal touch" - an email address, phone
number, and name of a contact person. I also culled a list of "good"
recruiters from STC databases in the area and kept them up-to-date with my
resume and availability. I'd also contact people I'd worked with in the
past - I bet a went though three or four reams of paper over the course of
the year.

Upon advice, I also changed my cover letter so that *I* remained in control
of contacting people - and I did, following up within a week of initial
contact with a telephone call or email.

The only point I'd refute is the necessity of the T-letter. I had a a job
counsellor look at different versions of the letter (one was was in a
bulletted format, the other used a table), and he was very, very critical.
These letters, he said, looked too much like a resume. He suggested that the
while the resume should sell the *hard* skills of past employement, the
cover letter should sell my personality and work ethic.

So I revised the cover letter, focusing on my philosophy of technical
writing. The response was immediate - more call backs, a few more
interviews, and, within two months, my current (non-contract!) position.
After being hired, the manager told me that the only reason I got the job
was because of my cover letter. <tooting my own horn>She thought it was more
interesting, showed more reflection and thought, and together with my
resume, presented a professional, skilled writer who couldn't help but be an
asset to the company</tooting>.

The things I learned during this long vacation is that getting a job is
about chance and timing - but you control both by 1) constantly revising
your resume and cover letter; 2) Contacting people - In fact, be aggressive
in contacting them; 3) Keeping faith in your self (this was the hardest for
me to learn: after six months, rejection turned personal, so I had given up
on myself and technical writing - I didn't send out a single resume for over
three months. I decided to go back to school, and my successes there gave me
back my hope - and encouraged me to begin sending resumes out again).

Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk