Really Basic PhotoShop Question

Subject: Really Basic PhotoShop Question
From: "Liz Goodwin" <Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:11:05 -0500

Ami Wright wrote:

- I'm having a puzzling problem in PhotoShop. I've taken a screen shot,
and added text. Now I want to draw a straight line.

- I clicked the line tool on the tool bar, and my cursor changed to "+." I
dragged the cursor where I want the line to appear. As long as I have - -
my finger on the mouse button, I have a line. As soon as I release the
mouse button the line disappears.

I think this might be the problem -

In Photoshop, lines can be one of 2 things:
"paths" (until you fill them in with color) or "shapes." The default is
paths.

Notice that when you select the line tool from the toolbar, one of the
icons next to the line dropdown box on the left of the toolbar is also
selected.
Make sure that you click the first icon (Shape Layers) and not the default
Paths (2nd icon).
Make sure that your foreground color is one that contrasts with your
background so that you can see it.
When you draw the line now, it should appear and print as well.

When you select the line tool and it defaults to the "Paths" icon, you have
to "stroke" your path with a brush and color in order to make it visible.

Hope this helps!!

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Process Instruments
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."
(Seneca)

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com