RE: Newbie contractor question re: Scope of Agreement or Letter o f Intent?

Subject: RE: Newbie contractor question re: Scope of Agreement or Letter o f Intent?
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:06:42 +1100

Sara-Sue,

I suspect that you are trying to get a leopard to change its spots - even a
written document of duties will not stop him from issuing directives and
then forgetting. I think the only way you can do that is to get him to write
his directives to you - email is fine, ensure you keep a copy - and CC'd
others who may be effected by changes when he directs that changes occur.
Then let THEM fight with him if the changes should, or should not, go ahead
- whilst you do as he last directed.

When a change is requested, from one of his directives, that changes what
you did before reply accepting the change and stating the extra work that
will be required to rework what has previously been done, and the new work
that will have to be done. Often you will find that they are "satisfied"
with what was done earlier - or the requestor thinks of a better way/time of
doing the work (for example - "gee that is a major change, let's leave that
till the next version").

One of the joys of technical writing is that there are so many subjective
viewpoints on how work can be done, and sometimes changes can be good, and
sometimes bad. By no means refuse to do his changes, and if your duties
extend beyond what you think of as normal work - enjoy the variance. If the
change to your duties is such that it involves accepting more responsibility
or putting a much greater workload than you should be doing, in which case
record where you think this branches from the original position and at the
review, or reviews, point out these discrepancies and seek adequate
compensation.

The main weapons you have in this situation, are recording what happens, and
communication with the boss concerned and with others who are effected.

Good luck.

~~~oh and it is not too horribly unusual for duties to fluctuate through a
project, however daily does seem a trifle extreme~~~

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au

(61) (03) 9301-1695

EAA/N,
Melbourne Central, Level 41.08,
360 Elizabeth Street,