Re: Which do you prefer? Why?

Subject: Re: Which do you prefer? Why?
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:48:22 +0000

Bonnie,

I prefer your original version (stpaul.html).

Over the existing version, I have recently come to the conclusion that I like the cleanness of a white b/g for most Web pages. The three column format works well for me. I expect to see links on the left of the page; the central section is not so wide that you can't easily scan the text (65-70 character theory); and the right hand column is nicely separated with the grey b/g as a useful space to provide current information. I also prefer the picture of the church in the right column - just a visual thing, I guess. It is also rather more welcoming than the picture of the pastor who, I am sure, is a very nice person.

I also preferred the title area layout in version 1 to that of version 2, although viewing it in Netscape (which I don't seem to be able to control in terms of size) the word 'Phone' appears at the end of the first address line, where it should obviously be at the beginning of the second.

Over V5, if I were a church-goer, I would want to see when services are held and what special topical and seasonal events are going on, before I considered details of the Catholic Encyclopaedia or the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. The two column style has an attraction, but takes getting used to.

Over V4, (sorry for the order) the same arguement about what and when applies to my preference for up-front information.

Over V3, as mentioned above, I think the main column is too wide for ease of legibility (the word I stopped myself from correcting everybody about recently - lots of talk about typography and redability, when it's actually legibility - there I've said it now. Fire extinguisher needed?)

Over V2, I think the grey columns on both sides appear to squeeze the centre section and make it look too thin, almost reducing its content to that of secondary matter, when it is (probably) the most important part of the overall message.

There's my 1.3 pence (c. two cents) worth.

Best wishes for the New Year to all,
Ant

Bonnie Granat wrote:

http://www.stpaulparish.org/