Tactic request: dependent numbering strategies

Subject: Tactic request: dependent numbering strategies
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:26:34 -0700

After trying a couple different options, none of which have proven really
satisfactory, I'd like to cull the experience of the list to see if I'm
simply missing an easier way.

In test documents, and occasionally others, I've found a need to have
multiple items in a section share a single number, with one set dependent
on the other. For example, a specific test case in a test plan is numbered
for reference by other docs (e.g. "1.5.3"); the boilerplate specific to
the test case, the table containing the action steps and pass/fail
signoffs for that test case, and sometimes optional reference figures and
risk assessment sections are all numbered to match, since they aren't
always together spatially.

As the doc is expanded during its development, the numbering will be
shuffled several times. I have autonumbering covering one piece, and I
want the dependent, matching numbers to auto-update with them.

What is your preferred tactic for dealing with this?

The context of the question is MSWord (no, there is *no* option to
change), 2000 to be exact, and the numbering is in outline format, because
some tests are organized hierarchically by component, function/exception,
and input variant.

Thanks!
Shauna Iannone
"Sleep is for the weak,...just not *this* week!"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com