Re: Fonts used in print

Subject: Re: Fonts used in print
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:31:17 -0800

JB Foster wrote:

I don't think I could stomach a book set in sans-serif; although short
sentences, such as instructions, make it ok to read. On the other hand, I
wouldn't go and set the text for 'warnings' in serif, either!

I think it very much depends on the individual sans serif. A book could
easily be set in Gill Sans, for example, but not Futura.

I did use Stone Sans for a manual once. However, that decision was very
much based on branding; a sans serif body text simply looks more modern
(although it has done so for over seventy years, which makes this
particular avant-garde look a little thread-bare). It worked, but
probably because, as you say, the sentences were fairly short.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"'To be, or not to be; that's the question,' said Eeyore. 'Some of us can, and some of us can't, and that's all there is to it. You know what I've been suffering, Piglet? Slings and arrows, that's what. And it's my birthday as well. I would have liked a balloon. But what do I get? Slings and arrows. Not to mention a sea of troubles. Did I mention a sea of troubles, Piglet?'"
- Les Barker, "Eeyore's Speech From 'Piglet'"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com