RE: Fonts used in print

Subject: RE: Fonts used in print
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:03:34 -0700

I haven't seen much (well, once I did in an internal manual) of Arial in
text, other than headings (which is often a default setting). I have always
heard that Arial is Microsoft's answer to Helvetica. But since Aril is so
ugly, why does Helvetica always pop up in discussions whenever fonts are
discussed.

Thanks for the info on Palatino, Mike. That's interesting, since the manual
I'm working on is not supposed to be copied by others. ;-)

Bruce

Mike West wrote:

> I've never seen Arial in a commercially-produced
> book. Are you sure it wasn't some other sans-serif
> face, like Helvetica or Univers?...
>... I'd be careful with Palatino for office documents.
> It is delicate and doesn't hold up very well to things
> like fax, photocopy, and tired toner cartidges. For high-res
> commercial printing, though, it should be fine.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com