RE: techwr-l digest: December 04, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: December 04, 2002
From: Shea Michael EXT <Michael -dot- Shea -dot- extern -at- icn -dot- siemens -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:11:43 +0100

Hi Patricia,

The layers are numbered for a reason. The lower the number the higher the priority. You can create the world's best documentation, but if your boss doesn't like it, it will probably never see the light of day. That doesn't mean you can't use requests from other layers to help justify your decision, but the only one who can trump your boss, is your boss's boss.

Though after thinking about it a little more, once you leave the realm of your boss, you do have a little more freedom. It depends on how your processes are structured and how responsibility is doled out. If the CEO gave you a memo that says, no document will go out without approval of internal reviewers. You better be ready with very very good reasons for ignoring them. Without such an order you can take the responsibility on yourself to do what you believe as a professional is the correct decision. Remember though that your job is communication. Technical writers often facilitate communication between parts of an organization that normally do not communicate. When such a conflict arises, point it out.

Unless someone's life is at risk though, your loyalty should remain with your employer. They pay you afterall.

-Michael

1. Your boss (I want my name at the bottom of each page!)
2. Internal reviewers (My second grade teacher says you are misusing the semicolon.)
3. The people presenting the product to others (Can you make our logo flash red and blue?)
4. Potential customers evaluating your product (Get rid of the flashing logo and replace it with ours)
5. The decision maker (He who holds the purse strings)
6. The poor schmuck who actually has to use what you write (I can't find the index!)

Now, who can tell me how to handle Layers 3 and 4, or any of the others that seem to be in constant competition?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com