RE: Journaling your work (was RE: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?)

Subject: RE: Journaling your work (was RE: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?)
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:57:58 -0500

At 6:14 PM -0500 12/4/02, John Posada wrote:

After I responded, I went back and looked at the link you included in the
post. My thought? When does he have time to do some actual work?

It's the time I used to spend writing project status reports <g>.

I have my laptop (or PDA with keyboard) running next to whatever machine I'm working on, or on the table in front of me at meetings. Everything is right there in my face, so I don't forget to bring up important issues when needed. And for projects where I need to turn in written status reports, I just export the journal to a text file (or copy/paste into the client's template) and do a little light editing---adding articles or sentence subjects, for example, which I often leave out of my stream-of-consciousness journal.

There was one project where I needed a formal, written record of the time when each issue was reported to the project manager and the length of time it took the issue to be resolved (client requirement, not my choice). For that, I put together a spiffy little Word doc in less than 20 minutes, and one of the network admins wrote a VBA macro that automatically moved each issue/resolution paragraph to the end of the doc as soon as I checked it off as done. I printed an update for the project manager before every meeting.

--
Kat Nagel,
(No, I didn't keep a copy. Sorry.)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com