Re: Different editing techniques in documentation

Subject: Re: Different editing techniques in documentation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:24:09 -0500

Sageetha,

You need to concern yourself with three levels of editing. Which order to apply them in is left as an exercise for the reader.

You need to copyedit. That is, you need to ensure that the text is free of grammatical, spelling, and style errors.

You need to edit for organization, emphasis, coherence, appropriateness of content, adherence to guidelines.

You need to edit for accuracy of content.

Proofreading is properly the checking of printer's proofs to ensure that all of the editing you did was correctly rendered in the final copy. Depending on your production workflow, you may need to do this additional step.

Dick

"Sangeetha Santhanagopal" <sangs5 -at- satyam -dot- net -dot- in> wrote:

>Greetings. I am working on an assignement which requires proof reading and
>editing. Are there any standards followed for editing documents and what are
>the different techniques in editing a document?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com