Re: Freelancing

Subject: Re: Freelancing
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:53:25 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Just because you're right, doesn't mean you earn the right to be an a**hole.

Andrew, you know I agree with you more often than not, but part of the problem may be that so many of the people who *make* the mistakes are such a**holes when you point them out...or even ask for clarification.

Back in the 80's I lived in Texas briefly and needed to take the written test for a driver's license.

One of the questions was about the meaning of a diamond-shaped yellow sign with the text "30 MPH" written below a curved black arrow (like you see on a highway exit ramp or a curvy mountain road). The multiple-choice answers included this:

"Slow down to at least 30 miles per hour."

The guy behind the desk asked why I hadn't answered that one, and he got really nasty when I told him I thought it was a trick question. I pointed out that "at least 30" means 30, or 31, or 32, or even 110, but not 29 or 28 or anything less than 30.

His highly effective response was, "Hey! You *know* what it *means*!"

Obviously not what was written.

--David

P.S. I got my license. :)

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com