Re: So long, adieu, and goodbye--at least for now!

Subject: Re: So long, adieu, and goodbye--at least for now!
From: KMcLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:43:06 +0100

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:03:49 -0800 (PST)
"David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> It may
> be that "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"--but
> as I now find myself in the same situation, I shall go "no
> mail" for now.

It may be, yes, but if you were reaching for the
famous quote, then "A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds."

That "foolish" part is critical to the meaning
of the original statement that so many misquote,
and makes **** ALL *** the friggin' difference.

If I meet one more mindless, smug, self-important
dolt who sneeringly flings that misquote at me
when I request consistency in a debate... well,
I may have to throttle someone with his own
entrails.

Not suggesting that you are one of the above
creatures (far from it), but it would be a
general service to thinking humans and to civil
society in general if people would stop
mis-appropriating and mis-stating that quotation,
along with the King Knute legend and a few others.

Oh... </rant>
... and if I don't hurt myself getting down from
this high-horse, it'll be a small miracle.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com