Repetition in Procedures

Subject: Repetition in Procedures
From: "Claire Philpott" <claire -at- edams -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:39:17 +0200

Dear All

I'm having a Friday afternoon at the end of a long week quandary. Please help.

I am writing a manual for an engineering audience. This manual describes how to add complex elements to a data model. A user may want to add in one session all the different types of elements, or may want to add only one specific type.

I am including a procedure for every element. Now here's the problem. Within a number of these elements there is a lengthy sub-procedure which is identical.

Should I document this sub-procedure fully for the first instance only and cross-reference the user to this section for all other elements.

Or

Should I include the procedure in full every time it is required.

I have already placed procedures that are identical for all elements at the beginning of the chapter and cross-referenced to that.

Any advice?

Thanks

Claire

Documentation Manager
EDAMS Technology Ltd
Office: +357 22 478300
Website: www.edams.com
This email is confidential and intended exclusively for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of EDAMS Technology Ltd.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com